Sunday, August 28, 2011

Define Irony

Recently there has been a buzz about a writer of one of the newspapers here in the Philippines who wrote an article about language, particularly English and Filipino. I saw his post as a link from our FB student group.



Of course, I found his article immature, and that his opinions are mainly based on his own little world; it doesn't really reflect the reality of our situation. At first he talked about seeing English as the language he used to learn, and that Filipino was merely for the "tinderas, helpers, and drivers." Then he proceeded in saying that in college he learned that Filipino is a rich language, which had its own semantics. But then he concluded by stating that English is the language of the learned, and that Filipino is the language of the streets. Here he is talking about learning and education, yet he sounded so uneducated. Define Irony.

As I was about to post my 2 cents on the topic, I noticed that some of those who are commenting against this person's article are the very same people who were defending another person in a previous debate. The issue at hand? the question of the freedom of expression. Then it struck me how ironic the world can be, these people were previously so determined to fight for someone's freedom of expression, and now here they are attacking another person, when what he said was merely exercising his own freedom of expression. Isn't everyone entitled to his own opinion? Define irony.

I was really compelled to argue and point out their flaws, but some of these people were my friends, and I know in doing so it will appear to be a personal attack. So I just posted two simple words, which for me could describe both the article and those who were commenting on the said article- define irony.

1 comment:

  1. my comment for the nth time.
    I agree it really is Ironic. Although we don't have to put all the weight on the blogger. I mean people have already told him such words why keep adding up more? Like what happened to Chris Lao? the one who emerged his car in a flooded street. We really don't know what's in the mind of every people so maybe being reprimanded once or corrected once is already enough. Because too much makes it look like we have the same mind as them. lol. It's really common for Filipinos to be so emotional when it comes to things. Don't you think? And in the end, haven't you asked yourself, are we really free? free to express? I for one think Nobody is. lol.

    Define Irony :>

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...