Sunday, August 28, 2011

Indian Food Night! (part 2)

I wanted to post about my experience with the rich 'matapobres' during my 4-day work at the biggest art fair here in the Philippines, but then I remembered that I left you hanging with my Indian Food Night! So here's the continuation of that:

While the sweet rice was cooking, I began preparing the Chickpea (garbanzos) dahl. I don't really measure the ingredients especially the spices, so feel free to adjust the ingredients to suit your taste. Here are the ingredients in list form:

  • small piece of grated ginger 
  • 1 tablespoon of cumin seeds
  • a bulb of onion diced (optional)
  • 1/2 a bulb of garlic minced (optional)
  • 3/4kg tomatoes - diced
  • Asofatida (Hing powder - also available in Indian specialty stores)
  • Garam masala powder (available at Indian specialty stores)
  • 1/2kg dried Chickpeas (garbanzos) soaked overnight and boiled
  • 1kg Potatoes - pealed and cubed
  • Turmeric powder
  • Curry pata leaves - minced (optional)
  • Fresh Coriander or Cilantro leaves (wansoy in Filipino)
In a large pot, start by sauteing the ginger and cumin seeds in a few tablespoons of oil on medium heat. When you hear some of the seeds pop, you can add the onions. When the onions are translucent, add garlic. Stir the ingredients, then add the tomatoes, a few teaspoons of hing and Garam Masala (according to your taste). Cook the tomatoes for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add potatoes and around 2 teaspoons of Turmeric powder and curry pata leaves. Add around 2 liters of water, (depends on how you want your soup - thin or thick) cover and let it boil. Add the chickpeas, and when it boils turn the heat a bit lower, and let it cook until the potato is soft and can easily be pierced with a fork. While it is still cooking, blend 2 quarts of the dahl mixture, then place it back to the pot. This will make it thick. Add salt and pepper to taste, turn the heat off, and add the coriander leaves. Cover to let the coriander leaves cook. Good for 15-20 persons

I'm a bit sick right now and I found it difficult to write the procedure, so I guess we'll just have another continuation for the rest of the Indian dishes: Eggplant pakoras, Tomato chutney, yellow rice, and sooji Halava. Til then!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dan, this is really nice. I'm a vegetarian myself and I love seeing blogs like this. Hope you will continue sharing your wonderful dishes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @gulaylover, thanks for dropping by. I'll be posting the rest of the dishes and hopefully some new ones soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. will add you on my blogroll :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...