Friday, August 5, 2011

Dropbox vs. Sugarsync

*image from techsplurge.com

Having a cloud storage has made my life studying in a distance learning environment easier and more convenient. I don't have to save my school papers in a USB drive every time I visit my sister and study there. I can also access my files even if there's no internet, and when I'm back online, the file automatically syncs and gets updated on the Web! I've used google docs before (another cloud computing service) in working with my school papers, and the problem I have with google docs is that my files are inaccessible offline.

Both Dropbox and Sugarsync are cloud storage services that I use. I've installed them on the laptop I use, my mother's laptop, and my sister's macbook, Itouch and Ipad.

So here's the pros and cons of both cloud storage services based on experience:

Pros - It has an easy-to-use interface, it's also easy to share files and folders to friends who have dropbox. You initially get a 2GB of free space and get up to 6GB more (a total of 8) from referrals (+250MB per referral). You can also view your files easily in an Ipad and Itouch, and can even edit them! It's also a good PDF viewer that turns your Ipad into e-book reader.

Cons - Files can only be saved in your Dropbox folder, and you only get up to 8GB of free space (you'll have to pay if you want more). You can't listen to music files.


Pros - You initially get a 5GB free space, which is more than twice the free space you get from Dropbox. Plus, for every referral, you get 500MB more! What's more, there's no limit to referral in Sugarsync not like in Dropbox. Your 'cloud' is also not limited to just one folder; any folder from your computer can be added to the 'cloud'. You can also listen to music files in an Ipad and Itouch, making it an additional storage space for your music files!

Cons - It has a less-friendly interface. It also takes longer to sync than Dropbox. It's also hard to view documents in Sugarsync

Both Dropbox and Sugarsync both have their limitations, but they are also great in their own way. So try them! See for yourself!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...