Friday, August 12, 2011

On (misplaced) Love

Okay, so this will be another one of my first "emo" writings to date. hehehe

When you belong to a family, it is expected that family problems follow. It is almost inevitable. And that's one thing I hate. I really hate family problems; it also has to be your own. That's how families are; they care for each other. At least that's how mine is..

My younger sister just came to me about an hour ago. She literally broke down in front of me, telling me that she just found out that her boyfriend had cheated on her.



I was dumbfounded; I didn't really know what to do. She then asked my younger brother to call my eldest sister. She bawled over the telephone, narrating to my sister what happened. She cried so hard that it would penetrate your very being, then she threw her cell phone on the floor and it shattered into pieces. All I could do was to gave her a glass of water, and told to drink it and not to break the glass. After a few sips she then proceeded upstairs, where my dad was sleeping, and I guess she wanted to be consoled by my dad.

This was the first time I saw her like this, and, what do I know? I've never been into a romantic relationship. But I guess this is one of the reasons why I never want to just whimsically give away my heart.

"We are very vulnerable, tender living beings. And yet we need to love and be loved. But the question is who to love and how to love? We should learn to develop our love for God, He is the only Perfect Person Whom we can truly love. When we develop our love for God, then simultaneously we will love others yet not need them. When we misplace our love to people in this world, oftentimes we get hurt; that's because we're giving our heart, the most prized of our possessions, and handing it to someone else, and oftentimes the other person can't really love us back."

This has been what has been taught to me by my spiritual guide ever since I was young, and although I have not yet fully understood it, whenever problems like this happen, I get reminded of its truth. It's not that I don't want to have a romantic relationship, I do, but when that comes, I want it to be centered upon God, not a type of relationship where my partner and I are trying to suck happiness from each other, not realizing that we're just both empty cups trying to be filled.

I don't think I'm making sense anymore. Well, it's my blog anyway.

So next time you place your love on another person, really consider who you are placing your love to. Never just give away your heart since it is your most precious possession.

I'll end my blog with a quote from my spiritual teacher: "Love is satisfaction in the love itself. If you love someone, that satisfies you as the end in itself.... Love is giving; Lust is taking."


1 comment:

  1. " I do, but when that comes, I want it to be centered upon God, not a type of relationship where my partner and I are trying to suck happiness from each other, not realizing that we're just both empty cups trying to be filled."

    Exactly! this is what I always wanted as well. But I guess I'm still one of those hopeless romantics that are vulnerable to love. that I never end up with one who has thought of this. Ahhh. Im still Immature :)) great point of view.

    Some insight: you'll never know something unless you're there nor be strong enough unless you have experienced it. So if you came to a point that you really think it might be a shot for love go for it. If you have God, you have the capacity to be with someone that you know He will really want you to have and to take care of. :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...